To my friends in government: Coding it Forward is looking for agencies to host early-career technologists for summer 2024.
Summer 2024 may seem far in the future, but applicants historically start looking for summer roles as early as the fall — and thus, agencies need to figure out their summer 2024 talent strategy now.
Coding it Forward is an incredible non-profit focused on creating opportunities for the next generation interested in public service and civic technology. Fellows work across software engineering, data, design, and product management to deliver policy, improve systems, and strengthen products on behalf of the American people. (I serve on the board and wrote about the founding story in Hack Your Bureaucracy.) Coding it Forward’s program was the primary inspiration for the Biden Administration’s U.S. Digital Corps.
Here are five reasons Why You Should Host Coding it Forward Fellows in 2024:
- Access Top Talent: By hosting Coding it Forward Fellows, your agency gains access to exceptional early career professionals skilled in data, software, design, and product development. They bring the latest technical expertise and fresh perspectives, offering valuable contributions to your agency’s projects and initiatives.
- Outsize Impact: During their 10-week internships, Coding it Forward Fellows make a significant impact. They work on critical projects that directly serve the American people, delivering policy outcomes, improving systems, and strengthening products. Having attended past demo days at the end of the summer, I’m always blown away by what Fellows are able to accomplish in such a short timeframe. You can take a look at past projects here.
- Diverse Talent Pool: Hosting Coding it Forward Fellows enables your agency to recruit from a diverse talent pool representing the breadth of America. Fellows are representative of America — all cohorts have been majority women and people of color.
- Build Pipeline: By hosting Fellows, you establish a pipeline of technologists for full-time roles within your agency. Immersing interns in your agency’s work and culture allows you to identify promising individuals who align with your mission. This creates a sustainable source of talented professionals committed to public service equipped with the necessary technical skills. Over the past five years, half of Coding it Forward alumni who have graduated from school and are eligible to work full-time are now working in government or social impact organizations.
- Inspire the Next Generation: Hosting Coding it Forward Fellows offers an opportunity to shape the perception of federal service among the next generation. Fellows work directly with government agencies, collaborating with dedicated public servants and gaining firsthand experience of the complexities and rewards of government service. This exposure can inspire a lifelong commitment to public service and foster a future generation of leaders in technology and innovation.
While many agencies run internship programs, few are set up to succeed for top technical talent. Attracting, recruiting, selecting, and supporting diverse technologists is made *far* easier operationally by partnering with an organization like Coding it Forward that provides ongoing programming and mentorship throughout the summer. Coding it Forward has deep experience here, having placed over 600 Fellows across federal, state, and local government offices.
Interested to learn more? Contact Deputy Director Ariana Soto at email@example.com to explore how hosting Coding it Forward Fellows in summer 2024 can transform your agency and inspire the next generation of public interest technologists.